I read Ezra in the KJV.
I read Ecclesiastes in the NASB Bible.
I read Hebrews in the NASB Bible.
I read Ephesians in the NASB Bible.
I read Job 11-15 in the 1599 Geneva Bible.
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible
Dr. Pepper Cake
For the cake
- 1 white or yellow cake mix (A cake mix without pudding. Cheap kind is fine. You'll have to trust me on that.)
- 1 cup Dr. Pepper (1 measuring cup of Dr. Pepper. Which leaves just enough of your 12 oz. can to have some while you're working.)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
For the topping:
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup chopped nuts (pecan or walnut works best)
1) Follow the directions on the box of your cake mix. EXCEPT that instead of adding their amount of liquid/water (oil, etc.) you substitute 1 cup Dr. Pepper and 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce.
2) Pour the batter into your cake pan. (It works as cupcakes if you prefer.)
3) For the topping, mix your brown sugar and nuts together well. Mixed Well being the key words if you don't like eating clumps of brown sugar. Brown sugar is clumpy and lumpy for the most part.
4) Sprinkle the topping mixture on top of your cake batter.
5) Bake it according to the temperature and time given on the cake mix.
Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine: And ye shall be unto me a kingdom of priests, and an holy nation. These are the words which though shalt speak unto the children of Israel. (Exodus 19:5-6)
Praise the LORD; for the LORD is good: sing praises unto his name; for it is pleasant.For the LORD hath chosen Jacob unto himself, and Israel for his peculiar treasure.For I know that the LORD is great, and that our Lord is above all gods. (Psalm 135:3-5)
"Go or stay." Astrid stared at the daisy in her hand and pulled off two petals. Sitting on the back porch, she was supposed to be hulling strawberries. But somehow that didn't work as well when one had life-altering decisions to make. She pulled another petal. "Go." And watched it drift down to the second of the three steps.
It was ironic.
I lay in my jail cell on a squeaky iron bunk, gazing at the stained mattress above me, and I remembered the day I first understood the meaning of the word ironic. I couldn't help smiling at...well, at the irony of it. The meaning had become clear to me ten years ago on the day my grandmother, Beatrice Monroe Garner, was arrested.
For to us a child is born,to us a son is given;and the government shall be upon his shoulder,and his name shall be calledWonderful Counselor, Mighty God,Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace.Of the increase of his government and of peacethere will be no end,on the throne of David and over his kingdom,to establish it and to uphold itwith justice and with righteousnessfrom this time forth and forevermore.The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. (Isaiah 9:6-7.)
Three friends were taken as prisoners to a place called Babylon, far away from home. They worshiped the one true God, but the king worshiped pretend gods. One day the king told everyone to bow down and worship a golden statue."I won't," said Shadrach."I won't," said his friend Meshach."I won't," said his friend Abednego."There will be trouble if you don't!" said a messenger of the king."As soon as you hear music and instruments, you'll bow down to that golden statue, or they'll be trouble--you wait and see! If you don't bow down and worship it, you'll be thrown into a fiery furnace!" (54)
"So they were thrown into the blazing, fiery furnace. It was very, very, very hot. But they did not die. They did not get burned. They didn't even smell smoky!" (54)
"The seventh day of the week is special," said God. "It's a rest day, a family day, a happy day, a holy day. It's a day when everyone can worship me together. Even the animals can have a rest!""Treat your moms and dads well," said God. "Be polite and loving and respectful and kind and obedient to them."..."And don't tell lies or say mean things about other people.""Don't look at the things other people have and want them so much that you can't think about anything else." (29)
"Our father in heaven, your name is great and holy.We want to do what is right so that your love will spread all over the world.Please give everyone enough to eat each day, and help us to be kind to each other always.Keep us safe from harm and from doing wrong things.For you are true and wonderful and glorious and your Kingdom will last forever and ever. Amen." (72-73)