Monday, October 17, 2011

Book Review: Necessary Deception

A Necessary Deception. Laurie Alice Eakes. 2011. Revell. 346 pages.

Entree into the prison proved easy for Lady Lydia Gale. 

If A Necessary Deception is your first introduction to Regency romance, then I think you'll be pleased and satisfied with Laurie Alice Eakes' A Necessary Deception. If you're a big fan of the time period, if Georgette Heyer is your favorite and best author, I think you'll still enjoy it quite a bit because who doesn't want one more delightful story?

I am a BIG BIG BIG fan of Regency romance novels. And so I was very excited to get the opportunity to read and review this one.  Lady Lydia Gale, our heroine, is a widow who takes a big risk. She chooses to honor her husband's last request to help out his friend should he ever be in need. When this friend is imprisoned, she does what she can to see to his release. The problem? He's French. She's English. The two countries are at war.

There's a bit of mystery in this one. A bit of espionage and blackmail. A crazy family full of dysfunction.  And, of course, there's romance. 

I liked this one. I did. It was an enjoyable read for me. I wouldn't say I loved it. But it was such a nice, pleasant book for me. Just a good way to spend an afternoon. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: