Saturday, February 11, 2012

MacArthur System, 1 John: Week of February 5-10

This month my focus is completely different--well, mostly different--from last month's focus. Which is a good thing, I think!!!

I am choosing to read 1 John, thirty to thirty-one times this month. This is my second week, and again I happened to read it in eight times. I read it this week in the New King James (6), Living (1), and New Living (1) translations.

Secondary goals this month include reading in two different bibles. One, the ESV Student Study Bible. I am just LOVING this one!!! The book introductions are just perfect for my attention span. They're informative enough, well-organized enough. But they're not too much. It doesn't take half an hour to decipher the introduction. And the notes are a good balance as well. The second Bible I'm reading this month is the NKJV Soul Care Bible.

From the ESV Student Study Bible

  • 1 Samuel
  • Hosea
  • Romans
  • Galatians
  • Ephesians
  • Philippians
  • Colossians
  • 1 Thessalonians
  • 2 Thessalonians
  • 1 Timothy
  • 2 Timothy
  • Titus
  • Philemon

From the NKJV Soul Care Bible

  • Psalms 51-110
  • Proverbs 6-14
  • Matthew
  • John 13-21
  • Acts
  • James
  • 1 Peter
  • 2 Peter
  • 1 John (5)
  • 2 John
  • 3 John
  • Jude
  • Revelation

From the MacArthur Student Bible, NKJV

  • 1 John

From the Living Translation

  • 1 John

From the New Living Translation

  • 1 John

Key Verses:

And this is His commandment: that we should believe on the name of His Son Jesus Christ and love one another, as He gave us commandment. Now he who keeps His commandments abides in Him, and He in him. And by this we know that He abides in us, by the Spirit whom He has given us. (1 John 3:23-24)
Beloved, if God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has seen God at any time. If we love one another, God abides in us, and His love has been perfected in us. By this we know that we abide in Him, and He in us, because He has given us of His Spirit. And we have seen and testify that the Father has sent the Son as Savior of the world. Whoever confesses that Jesus is the Son of God, God abides in him, and he in God. And we have known and believed the love that God has for us. God is love, and he who abides in love abides in God, and God in him. (1 John 4:11-16)
We love Him because He first loved us...And this commandment we have from Him: that he who loves God must love his brother also. (1 John 4:19, 21)
If you love Me, keep My commandments. And I will pray the Father, and He will give you another Helper, that He may abide with you forever--the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees Him nor knows Him; but you know Him, for He dwells with you and will be in you. (John 14:15-17)
He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. And he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and manifest Myself to him....If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word; and My Father will love him, and We will come to him and make Our home with him. (John 14:21, 23)
As the Father loved Me, I also have loved you; abide in My love. If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love, just as I have kept My Father's commandments and abide in His love. These things I have spoken to you, that My joy may remain in you, and that your joy may be full. This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you. (John 15:9-12)
And above all things have fervent love for one another, for love will cover a multitude of sins. (1 Peter 4:8)
But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Much more then, having now been justified by His blood, we shall be saved from wrath through Him. For if when we were enemies we were reconciled to God through the death of His Son, much more, having been reconciled, we shall be saved by His life. And not only that, but we also rejoice in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom we have now received the reconciliation. (Romans 5:8-11)



© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: