Monday, April 29, 2013

Book Review: Love's Abiding Joy (1983)

Love's Abiding Joy. Janette Oke. 1983. Bethany House. 240 pages.

I've not read the second half of Janette Oke's Love Comes Softly series quite as many times. Instead of a dozen, probably only three or four times! In this fourth book, Marty and Clark visit their daughter and son-in-law. It has been years since Clark and Marty have seen Missie and Willie, and this will be the very first time they meet their two grandsons Nathan and Joey. They had only intended to visit two weeks with their family, which makes sense since it takes a week to travel to travel there and a week to travel back home. But during their stay, Clark becomes a HERO. Two boys (NOT HIS GRANDSONS) are trapped in an old mine, he is the first to reach the scene, knowing all the dangers he bravely trusts God to guide Him and protect Him. I had forgotten, in a way, how touching and compelling those scenes were! I remembered this as the book with the big DRAMA in it, but I didn't really remember the details rightly. I think I appreciated it more as an adult than I did as a child. God is providentially moving in this book as Clark and Marty face the future...

I definitely liked this one!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: