Monday, August 5, 2013

Book Review: God Knows My Name

God Knows My Name: Never Forgotten, Forever Loved. Beth Redman. 2010. David C. Cook. 192 pages. [Source: Bought]

Beth Redman shares her personal story in God Knows My Name. The contents: "God Knows My Name," "God Knows My Past," "God Shapes My Character," "God Sees My Choices," "God Has Not Forgotten Me," "God is My Helper," "God Is My Defender," and  "God Is My Restorer." She shares life-lessons with readers, messages that are well-connected to various scripture passages.

I liked this one. It isn't a genre I usually read, I tend to read more theology. But I think it is an encouraging read that many readers will be able to enjoy.

Favorite quotes:
I simply want to shout out that God heals, restores, has plans for you, and utterly adores you! If we can truly breathe in that truth, we become free to live, free to give, and free to love and accept both others and ourselves.
In direct contrast, God says that He has a name for us. Where we feel worthless and insignificant He bestows worth and significance upon us when He calls us by name and chooses us for His glory.
Yet God didn’t just make you, then say, “What a great job,” and leave you on a shelf. No, He pursues a relationship with you, He gives His life for you, that He may know you daily, deeply, and eternally.
Listen closely: Isaiah 61:3 says that He bestows on us “a crown of beauty instead of ashes,” and Psalm 103:4 says that God “redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion.” Anyone wearing a crown holds her head up high. She does not have an identity problem. She has been given honor and dignity.
God speaks worth over you. He declares His love for you. You are precious in His sight.
A heart open to hearing God’s voice is a heart close to breakthrough. The Word is truth, and the truth brings freedom.
A heart open to hearing God’s voice is a heart close to breakthrough. The Word is truth, and the truth brings freedom.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: