Thursday, April 10, 2014

Worth Quoting #8 J.I. Packer

From In My Place Condemned He Stood by J.I. Packer (and Mark Dever). (This quote comes from a Packer chapter).

Packer composed a list of nine insights about the cross that are basic to personal religion:

1. God condones nothing but judges all sin as it deserves: which Scripture affirms, and my conscience confirms, to be right.

2. My sins merit ultimate penal suffering and rejection from God's presence (conscience also confirms this), and nothing I do can blot them out.

3. The penalty due to me for my sins, whatever it was, was paid for me by Jesus Christ, the Son of God, in his death on the cross.

4. Because this is so, I through faith in him am made "the righteousness of God in him," i.e., I am justified; pardon, acceptance, and sonship become mine.

5) Christ's death for me is my sole ground of hope before God.

6) My faith in Christ is God's own gift to me, given in virtue of Christ's death for me; i.e., the cross procured it.

7) Christ's death for me guarantees my preservation to glory.

8) Christ's death for me is the measure and pledge of the love of the Father and the Son to me.

9) Christ's death for me calls and constrains me to trust, to worship, to love, and to serve.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: