Sunday, November 23, 2014

Celebrate the Bible, Week Four

Join me this November to celebrate the Bible. I would encourage you to read and meditate and study Psalm 119 with me. I would encourage you to pick up your Bible and read something. Even if you choose not to dedicate the month to the longest Psalm in the Bible!!! My goal is not to have you fall in love with Psalm 119. My goal is to have you fall in love with God's Word. I want you to "taste and see that the LORD is good!" I want you to join with me in saying, "Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt his name together!"

To clarify, you do NOT have to join me in reading Psalm 119 to participate in Celebrate the Bible. Read the Bible. Read what you want, where you want. Just read something and share with everyone where you're reading and what you're learning!!! 

Week Four, November 23-29

November 23, read and meditate on Psalm 119:145-152
November 24, read and meditate on Psalm 119:153-160
November 25, read and meditate on Psalm 119:161-168
November 26, read and meditate on Psalm 119:169-176
November 27, read Psalm 34
November 28, read Psalm 19
November 29, read Psalm 119 and/OR read Charles Spurgeon's sermon "Christ's Indwelling Word."

Be sure to check out quotes and resources from week oneweek two, and week three.

Questions: Do you have a favorite Bible? a favorite study Bible? What resources do you use and love?

Highlights from Psalm 119:145-176 in the MEV:

  • I arose before the dawn of the morning and cried for help; I hope in Your words. Psalm 119:147
  • My eyes are awake before the night watches, that I might meditate on Your word. Psalm 119:148
  • Hear my voice according to Your lovingkindness, O LORD; revive me according to Your judgment. Psalm 119:149
  • But You are near, O LORD, and all Your testimonies are true. Psalm 119:151
  • I have known of old that You have established Your testimonies forever. Psalm 119:152
  • Consider how I love Your precepts; revive me, O LORD, according to Your lovingkindness. Psalm 119:159
  • Your word is true from the beginning, and every one of Your righteous judgments endures forever. Psalm 119:160
  • Princes have persecuted me without a cause, but my heart stands in awe of Your words. Psalm 119:161
  • I rejoice at Your word, as one who finds great plunder. Psalm 119:162
  • Seven times a day I praise You, because of your righteous judgements. Psalm 119:164
  • Let my cry come near before You, O LORD; give me understanding according to Your word. Psalm 119:169
  • Let my supplication come before You; deliver me according to Your word. Psalm 119:170
  • My lips shall declare praise, for You have taught me Your statutes. Psalm 119:171
  • My tongue shall speak of Your word, for all Your commandments are right. Psalm 119:172
  • I have wandered like a lost sheep; seek Your servant, for I do not forget Your commandments. Psalm 119:176

Highlights from Psalm 34 and Psalm 19 in the MEV:

  • I will bless the LORD at all times; His praise will continually be in my mouth. Psalm 34:1
  • Oh, magnify the LORD with me, and let us exalt His name together. Psalm 34:3
  • I sought the LORD, and He answered me, and delivered me from all my fears. Psalm 34:4
  • Oh, taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him. Psalm 34:8
  • Come, you children, listen to me; I will teach you the fear of the LORD. Psalm 34:11
  • The LORD is near to the broken-hearted and saves the contrite of spirit. Psalm 34:18
  • The LORD redeems the life of His servants, and all who take refuge in Him will not be punished. Psalm 34:22
  • The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul; the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple. Psalm 19:7
  • The statutes of the LORD are right, rejoicing the heart; the commandment of the LORD is pure, enlightening the eyes; Psalm 19:8
  • The fear of the LORD is clean, enduring forever; the judgments of the LORD are true and righteous altogether. Psalm 19:9
  • More to be desired are they than gold, yes, than much fine gold; sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb. Psalm 19:10
  • Moreover by them is Your servant warned, and by keeping them comes great reward. Psalm 19:11

Highlights from the rest of the Bible in the ESV:
  • Your words were found, and I ate them, and your words became to me a joy and the delight of my heart, for I am called by your name, O LORD, God of hosts. Jeremiah 15:16
  • I will greatly rejoice in the LORD; my soul shall exult in my God, for he has clothed me with the garments of salvation; he has covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decks himself like a priest with a beautiful headdress, and as a bride adorns herself with her jewels. For as the earth brings forth its sprouts, and as a garden causes what is sown in it to sprout up, so the LORD God will cause righteousness and praise to sprout up before all the nations. Isaiah 61:10-11
  • Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. 2 Corinthians 5:17
  • For our sake he made him to be sin who knew no sin, so that in him we might become the righteousness of God. 2 Corinthians 5:21
  • But God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
  • Blessed is the one whose transgression is forgiven, whose sin is covered. Blessed is the man against whom the Lord counts no iniquity, and in whose spirit there is no deceit. Psalm 32:1-2
  • He sent redemption to his people; he has commanded his covenant forever. Holy and awesome is his name! Psalm 111:9
  • Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of mercies and God of all comfort,  who comforts us in all our affliction, so that we may be able to comfort those who are in any affliction, with the comfort with which we ourselves are comforted by God. For as we share abundantly in Christ's sufferings, so through Christ we share abundantly in comfort too. 2 Corinthians 1:3-5
Resources:
Video Resources:
Quotes:
God's Word is a gift we have received from God, and we must accept it and thank Him for it. Christians who are not thankful for the Bible will not spend much time with the Bible. ~ Warren Wiersbe, Jesus In the Present Tense, 120
We will never love God purely--wholeheartedly--apart from immersing ourselves in God's Word because it is only in Scripture that we learn what God is like. To know him is to love him, and we always desire more of what we love most. ~ Lydia Brownback, Purity, 23
The key to spirituality is the development of little habits, such as Bible reading and memorization and prayer. In putting one foot in front of the other day after day, we become the kind of person who grows and endures rather than withers and dies. ~ Randy Alcorn, "Finishing With Few Regrets," O Love That Will Not Let Me Go, 57
The Bible is read by people who choose to read it. Bible reading is neglected by people who choose to neglect it. It's just that simple. No excuses. Just honesty. (Woodrow Kroll, Taking Back the Good Book, 77)


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: