Friday, August 14, 2015

Book Review: Through Waters Deep

Through Waters Deep. (Waves of Freedom #1) Sarah Sundin. Revell. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Sarah Sundin is one of my favorite authors. She writes historical romances set during World War II. I enjoy many historical romances; some more than others perhaps. I enjoy reading novels set during World War II--romance or not. So Sarah Sundin is a definite treat for me. I look forward each year to reading her newest book. Often her books are released in August, and anything that you can look forward to in August is a GOOD thing in my opinion.

Through Waters Deep is the first book in her new series. Readers meet  Mary Stirling, a secretary for Boston's Navy Yard, and Jim Avery, an ensign in the Navy. These two knew each other--though not well--in high school. They've bumped into each other in Boston after several years apart, and are now on ever-increasing friendly terms.

World War II has not started yet, but, that doesn't mean there's not a lot of activity. Boston is a city full of opinionated people. Some anxious to have the United States join the war. Some determined to avoid war at all costs. When the two groups meet and mingle, well, trouble is the result. (The novel opens in March 1941, and ends shortly after the bombing of Pearl Harbor in December 1941).

Through Waters Deep is a great read. Readers meet plenty of characters, the main characters, of course are Jim and Mary. Other novels may explore other characters introduced in this one perhaps. (I hope so!) I loved the characterization. I loved the romance. I enjoyed the mystery. Yes, MYSTERY. For Mary is a smart woman good at detecting trouble and solving crimes. She knows that SOMETHING is going on at the Navy Yard, and believes it to be serious…

I definitely recommend this one!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Sarah Sundin said...

Thanks for the lovely review, Becky! I'm glad you enjoyed Jim & Mary's story!