Sunday, September 4, 2016

Book Review: Miracle Man


Miracle Man. John Hendrix. 2016. Harry N. Abrams. 40 pages. [Source: Library]

First sentence: Ages ago, in a dry and dusty land, the people were in need. The land was a sick place, in need of healing. The land was a blind place, in need of sight. The land was a thirsty place, in need of water...the kind of living water that would last forever.

Premise/plot: Miracle Man is a picture book for readers of all ages. It is the story of Jesus. It begins, not with his birth, but with his ministry. The book ends on the verge of the greatest miracle of all: his resurrection. Readers see the empty grave clothes, the stone rolled away, and read the words, "But God's Son, Jesus, the Miracle Man, had in store one last glorious miracle...."

My thoughts: I thought the storytelling was excellent. No story book--or picture book--will ever take the place of Holy Scripture--but writers can creatively craft a narrative worth reading and sharing.

I definitely enjoyed this one. It was one of those books that I wanted to reread a couple more times before turning back into the library. One of those books that I wanted to get everyone in my family to read so I could talk about it with someone.

Text: 5 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 9 out of 10

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: