Thursday, December 22, 2016

Book Review: Mary's Christmas Story

Mary's Christmas Story. Teresa Olive. Illustrated by Nancy Munger. 1996. Concordia. 16 pages. [Source: Bought]

First sentence: Young Mary lived in Nazareth, a town in Galilee. She was a girl who tried to serve the Lord most faithfully.

Premise/plot: Retells the story of Jesus' birth from Luke 1:26-56 and Luke 2:1-20 in rhyme for children.

My thoughts: I remember loving the ARCH BOOKS from my childhood. This one was not from my childhood years. So I was unfamiliar with it. I think I might have liked it better if the author had worried less about rhyming. That being said, it's not like every single poetic line was poorly done. It's just that while rhyming in and of itself isn't horribly difficult, writing rhyme with great rhythm is difficult. Rhymes should not distract readers from the story.

Mary did not understand. She asked, "How can this be?
I am still a virgin. I'm not married yet, you see."
Gabriel said, "God himself will cause you to conceive.
Nothing is impossible with God--you may believe!
Your relative, Elizabeth, who is old and worn,
Is finally a mother--her child will soon be born"
Text: 3 out of 5
Illustrations: 4 out of 5
Total: 7 out of 10

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: