Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Book Review: Jesus, Keep me Near the Cross


Guthrie, Nancy, editor. 2009. Jesus, Keep Me Near The Cross: Experiencing the Passion and Power of Easter. Crossway. 152 pages.

I loved this book! Similar in concept to Nancy Guthrie's Come Thou Long Expected Jesus, the book is a series of short essays (sermons, writings, whatever you want to call them) reflecting on Christ's passion--particularly the cross and the resurrection. What I loved about this collection--and the previous collection--is that it includes a variety of authors both historic and contemporary: Martin Luther, John Piper, Alistair Begg, Charles Spurgeon, John MacArthur, John Owen, Martyn Lloyd-Jones, James Montgomery Boice, John Calvin, Jonathan Edwards, R.C. Sproul, J.I. Packer. In short, most of my favorites past and present. I love that the book is accessible. The chapters are short--three to six pages. I love that the book has substance. It isn't a fluffy book. It's a book with depth and meat to it. But it's not overwhelming either. It's just right for reading one or two chapters a day.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: