Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Book Review: What is the Bible?


Bostrom, Kathleen Long. 2009. What is the Bible? (Part of the Little Blessings series by Tyndale). Illustrated by Elena Kuchank. Tyndale.

This August, Tyndale is releasing two more stories in the Little Blessings series by Kathleen Long Bostrom. (I reviewed a four-in-one collection back in January.) These two new titles are What is the Bible? and Who Made the World?

I've heard people talk
of the Bible in church.
It seems extra special,
so I'm on a search.

Who wrote the Bible?
One person? A few?
What does it say?
Can you give me a clue?

Is it a book
I will need as I grow?
Does it tell stories
of people I know?

This one is about the Bible. Or perhaps I should say the B-I-B-L-E. (I don't know why that song popped into my head just now, but it seems a little fitting, doesn't it?)

This book is divided into three parts. The first part is a question-poem written from a child's perspective. These are simple questions, questions that may be a bit familiar to parents with curious kids with a heart for God. The second part is an answer-poem written from an adult's perspective. The third part is for Bible references. What I love about this last section is that it goes through line-by-line of the answer-poem, and it provides a verse or two to back up the rhyme.

The illustrations by Elena Kuchank are traditional and cutesy. The types of illustrations that you might find on greeting cards. One plus to the illustrations is that her illustrations are multicultural.

Are you a Christian parent? Have you read any books in this series? What do you think?


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: