Friday, September 3, 2010

Book Review: Wildflowers of Terezin


Wildflowers of Terezin. Robert Elmer. Abingdon Press. 352 pages.

Hanne Abrahamsen awoke with a start in the middle of a bad dream, something about being in nursing school once again and a man who looked like Adolf Hitler (but with the face of a codfish) announcing at her graduation that she was a Jew, and didn't everyone already know that?

Historical fiction. Set--for the most part--in Denmark during World War II. It stars a Jewish nurse, Hanne, and a Lutheran minister, Steffan Arne Petersen; the war brings these two together in unexpected ways. Steffan NEVER thought he'd be part of the Danish Underground. Never thought he'd be part of the Resistance. But. When he meets Hanne, when he learns what the Nazis have planned for all the Danish Jews, well, he has to do something. Still. It didn't have to be so personal. But Hanne is a remarkable woman. Brave and compassionate. Always thinking of others.

This was a great book! True, I am always seeking out new (and new-to-me) books set during this time period. So it was an easy choice for me. I loved how the story is told through dual narrators. I loved both Steffan and Hanne. It was an interesting novel--very intense but not over the top. Both characters surprised me!

I would definitely recommend this one!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: