Thursday, August 29, 2013

Book Review: Undaunted

Undaunted: Daring To Do What God Calls You To Do (Student Edition). Christine Caine. 2013. Zondervan. 208 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I really enjoyed reading Undaunted. In part, Undaunted read like a good memoir. The book is, in part, about the horrors of human trafficking. On the other hand, the book is a serious challenge to every reader to walk closer to God, to listen and follow, to SERVE. It is a reflective read, very compelling. I'd definitely recommend this one. (I'm not sure what makes the student edition distinctive from the previous edition. The page counts seem similar.)

The book is, in part, about the horrors of human trafficking. The messages goes above and beyond that, however.

The book consists of four parts: "God Knows My Name," "God Knows My Pain," "God Knows My Fear," "God Knows My Destiny." I believe that every believer needs to absorb--believe and know--these truths. These lessons aren't to be heard or read just once and forgotten. They need to be ABSORBED so they become part of who we are and what we believe. These truths can provide joy, comfort, assurance.

Favorite quotes:
Why is it always so hard to choose first what God says about us? Why do we listen to the voices of others more than his? If our goal is to be undaunted, then we should be especially diligent to not let the lies and foolish thoughts of others daunt us. Labels, insults, attempts to overwhelm and limit and thereby control us--these have no place in the life of the believer. God has freed us, and if we're to live undaunted, we can't allow the maneuvering of others to force us back into bondage. (50)
When you're not lost--when you're safe--it's hard to understand the urgency of needing to be found, needing to be rescued. And yet all of us who are believers in Christ have a way of understanding that urgency. "Lost" is what all of us once were, apart from Christ--before he found us and adopted us into his family. (113)
God, help me not to close my eyes to other people's horror or ignore injustice. Help me fight the injustice you hate. Help me value people and speak up for those who have been silenced. God, you have loved, chosen, and healed me, and I want to help others be set free...help me not to sit back and pretend it does not concern me." (140)
© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Monica said...

most definitely things everyone should know, that God knows all about us. God cares that much about us to know all these things. That should really touch our hearts! Sounds like a good (although human trafficking is not good) book to have.