Saturday, October 5, 2013

3 NIV Bibles

Do you remember your first Bible? What Bibles did you own as a child? What things were important to you then? What things are important to you now? How important is design and style?

I owned a handful of Bibles as a child. My first Bible was a children's Living Bible. It was small and had some color illustrations. The Bible I used perhaps even more, however, was my "school" Bible. It was another children's bible, an NIV. This one was big. The print was HUGE, and it had color illustrations as well. My next two Bibles were NIV as well. The gift-award Bible I received after confirmation classes, and the woman's devotional Bible I received as a junior in high school. The gift-award Bible was very basic, of course, but quite durable! (I am not sure they are that durable these days! Mine was used heavily, and by the end, I had to glue most of the New Testament back into place with glue! It held though!) The woman's devotional Bible was pink and lovely. I remember loving the font. This was my first proper 'grown-up' Bible. And it looks well-loved. The first Bible that I read through cover to cover, and the first "study" Bible I owned was the Life Application Bible in the Living translation. This was when I was a freshman in college.

I recently had the opportunity to review three NIV releases. All three are being marketed to middle grade and young adult readers. All three focus on style: on appealing to readers because they express a certain style, because they are unique.

The first I'll mention is the Flexi Bible. It is very small, very compact. The print is tiny. This can be forgiven, by me, because it is so light. It is so easy, so natural to read this one lying down in bed. It comes in two colors: pink and blue. Both the pink and blue editions have orange and green add-ons. You can decide where these pieces go. But two of them can be snapped into place to close the Bible! My first impression was that it was FUN. It's just tactilely pleasing to hold this squishy Bible. I knew I would love this aspect of it. It's also very bold and bright. My second favorite thing about this one is that it lies flat incredibly well. This is a text-only Bible. No cross-references. No concordance. No book introductions. No notes. No glossary of terms. No extra lists of the "where-to-find-it" variety. The 2011 NIV text is all you'll get.

Strengths: fun, bright, bold, lays flat really well, lightweight
Weaknesses: super-tiny text, red-letter, and not only is it red letter, it's that faint color red that is nothing but a strain to read

The second I'll mention is the Animal-Print Collection. There are three prints to choose from. (A Black-and-white zebra print, a brown-and-white giraffe, and a pink leopard). All three have handy elastic closures. (I love this feature with Bibles and journals). It is small, compact. The text is tiny. (I've noticed that text is getting tinier lately. Ten or twenty years ago, it seemed text was much bigger. Then again, Bibles were bigger.) It is light and easy to read in bed. As much as I love bigger Bibles and study Bibles, they are almost impossible to read in bed. So I am always happy to find a 'just-right' for bed Bible. Like the Flexi Bible, this one lays flat beautifully. I am very glad this problem has finally been solved! This is a text-only Bible. No cross-references. No concordance. No book introductions. No notes. No glossary of terms. No extra lists of the "where-to-find-it" variety. The 2011 NIV text is all you'll get.

Strengths: small, expressive design, lays flat well, lightweight and portable
Weaknesses: super-tiny text, red letter

The third I'll mention is the Clearly-U Bible. The "clear" cover of this one is pink glitter. There are four possible cover choices for readers to decide between. (Two pieces of paper designed front and back.) And, of course, these covers can be switched out as often as one likes! Perhaps readers may even choose to make their own cover, the back advises that *if* you do, you should laminate it before inserting it into the cover so that ink does not transfer from one to the other. It is small, compact, portable. The text is tiny. But it does lay flat for the most part. (The cover doesn't seem quite as flexible, perhaps, as the previous two.) If you know someone who loves pink, glittery, feminine things, then this one is probably a good match. This is a text-only Bible. No cross-references. No concordance. No book introductions. No notes. No glossary of terms. No extra lists of the "where-to-find-it" variety. The 2011 NIV text is all you'll get.

Strengths: small, relatively unique design style (you choose between four printed designs), lays flat for the most part, lightweight and portable
Weaknesses: super-tiny text, red letter

Being text only can be a definite strength.

Being red-letter (aka Words of Christ in red) can be a strength for some readers, I suppose. But for me it is often a deal-breaker. I rarely if ever choose to buy a Bible if that Bible is red letter.

Choice can be a good thing. For me, in the past, this was expressed through bible covers, covers I sewed myself. There is something wonderful about choosing fabric, choosing ribbons or lace, designing it just so, and seeing it through to the end as you sew it all together. It does involve measuring and patience and possible knotting of the thread. But when you make it yourself, it is completely you and no one else.

I rarely judge Bibles by their covers. Emphasis on rarely. But I do judge bibles based on their content. I definitely have preferences when it comes to font, font size, page layout, thickness of pages, etc.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: