Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Signing Up For Operation Deepen Faith (My Post)


Operation Deepen Faith
Host: Operation Actually Read Bible (sign-up post)
January - December 2014

I. Wonderful Words of Life. Goal: Read the Bible using a Bible Plan

  • I will definitely be using John MacArthur's reading plan of 30 Days in a row! These books are likely contenders: 2 Corinthians, 1 Timothy, 2 Timothy, 1 and 2 Thessalonians (together), James, Galatians. Each month I use this system, I will write a separate post and add it to the 2014 Goals Sidebar. I will keep track each time I read the book. 
  • I am thinking about trying the M'Cheyne Bible Reading Plan. Would anyone be interested in trying it with me? I think I might be more successful at sticking with it if I have company.
  • I will probably alternate the intensity of the MacArthur system with the broadness of my own reading plan. (On Mondays, reading from the pentateuch, on Tuesdays, reading from the history books, on Wednesdays, reading from the wisdom books, on Thursdays, reading from the major prophets, on Fridays, reading from the minor prophets. On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, reading from the gospels, on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays reading from the epistles--the rest of the NT essentially. Sundays are completely free for me to choose where I want to read.)

II. How Firm A Foundation. Goal: STUDY one book of the Bible throughout the year.

  • I will be spending an entire year with the Apostle John. I will be studying these three books of the Bible: John, 1 John, Revelation. I plan to read each of these books at least twelve times. I'd really, really, really love to read each of these twenty-four times! But let's see if 12 is even achievable!

III. Deep and Wide; Goal: read multiple books of the bible in multiple translations.

  • This goal is accomplished every time I do the MacArthur 30 Day system. 
  • This goal is accomplished when I try to read the New Testament through each year in a handful of different translations. I try for some variety: ESV, NASB, KJV, NKJV, NIV, etc.

VI. Christian Nonfiction. 

  • My minimum goal is to read at least one Christian nonfiction book per month. Ideally, I'd be able to read four Christian nonfiction books per month. It would be GREAT if I could read fifty over an entire year. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

3 comments:

twiga92 said...

I would like to do the M'Cheyne Reading plan at some point but probably won't be this next year. I will be doing the Bible in 90 Days from Feb. 1 - May 1 and then I plan to do Professor Horner's reading plan for May through December. So maybe another time I can join you!

Unknown said...

I would like to sign up for Operation Deepen Fait and am looking at the M'Cheyne Reading Plan. So I may try starting January 1st.

Anonymous said...

I'm in! I'm going to read the Bible Chronologically and for now, that's the only plan I'll be using. Great challenge :) Should be amazing! Thanks for hosting!

Here's the link to my blog post:

http://unscripted35.wordpress.com/2014/01/01/operation-deepen-faith-2014/