Saturday, January 11, 2014

Book Review: Crazy Busy

Crazy Busy. Kevin DeYoung. 2013. Crossway. 128 pages. [Source: Review copy]

Crazy Busy is a "mercifully short book" about a common problem. It was definitely a quick read for me. I liked how straight-forward it was. The first chapter tells you exactly what to expect, in fact, it gives you an outline for the entire book.
I hope you'll find this book highly practical and accessibly theological. That's the book I set out to write because that's the book I'd want to read. (17)
My outline is as simple as three numbers: 3, 7, and 1: three dangers to avoid (chapter 2), seven diagnoses to consider (chapters 3-9), and one thing you must do (chapter 10). (18)

Another thing I loved about this one is how conversational it is, how relaxed. At times it was laugh out loud funny. It's not that the book lacks seriousness, however, it's just a very "real" book about being human.
We live in a permissive society that won't count sin against you as an adult, but will count the calories in your kids' hot lunches. (67)
I think the chapter most people will find it hard to implement is the last chapter--the essential chapter. In this chapter, Kevin DeYoung urges his busy, busy readers to have God be their one thing; in other words, to stop being Martha, to be Mary. To put aside all the "important" things, and focus on the only thing weighty enough to be truly important: Jesus.
If someone recorded your life for a week and then showed it to a group of strangers, what would they guess is the "good portion" in your life? What would they conclude is the one thing you must get done every day? Folding the laundry? Cleaning the house? Catching up on emails? Posting to Facebook? Mowing the lawn? Watching the game? I know you have things to do, I have plenty to do myself. But out of all the concerns in our lives, can we honestly say and show that sitting at the feet of Jesus is the one thing that is necessary? (113)
We have to believe that hearing from God is our good portion. We have to believe that the most significant opportunity before us every day is the opportunity to sit at the feet of Jesus. We won't rearrange our priorities unless we really believe this is the best one. (115)
Crazy Busy may be short. And some might argue that it's a book with obvious solutions: that there aren't any big secrets revealed, but, I think it's a thought-provoking book. If readers will take the time to consider their own lives as they read, I think this book offers something.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: