Thursday, May 1, 2014

The Everlasting Tradition (1995)

The Everlasting Tradition: Jewish Customs, Holidays, and Historical Events That Reveal Biblical Truth. Galen Peterson. 1995. Kregel Publications. 160 pages. [Source: Bought]

I have now read The Everlasting Tradition several times now. Each time I read it, I am reminded of its richness. I love how informative it is. I love how relevant it is. I like learning the details, how knowing the details about Jewish life (culture, customs, religion) can help in understanding and appreciating Scripture. 

My last review of The Everlasting Tradition was thorough, in my opinion, so I'll keep this one brief. 

My favorite chapter is STILL probably the one about Jewish weddings. I love, love, love the charts on pages 136-138. 

God's Plan Revealed
Part One: The Match:
The Biblical Marriage

  • The groom is under the authority of his father.
  • The bride is under the authority of her father.
  • The father of the groom takes the initiative.
  • Some people need a matchmaker.
  • A price is paid by the groom.
  • The bride agrees to the price.
  • A covenant is made.
  • The groom and bride drink a cup.
  • The match is made public

God's Plan of Redemption

  • God's Son came under the Father's authority (John 5:26-27)
  • The world is under the power of the Adversary (1 John 5:19)
  • God the Father sent forth His son to the world (Gal. 4:4)
  • Some people need the insights of others to understand salvation (2 Cor. 11:2)
  • The son paid a great price for our salvation (1 Cor. 6:20)
  • We are saved when we accept the Son's sacrifice (Eph. 2:8-9)
  • The Son made a covenant with his people (Rom 11:27)
  • The Son drank the cup of death and believers share in the blessing it brings (1 Cor 10:16)
  • Believers are to make public their faith (Matt 10:32)

Part Two: The Betrothal Period
The Biblical Marriage
  • The groom returns to his father's house
  • A waiting period begins
  • The groom builds a place for his bride
  • The father decides the time to fetch the bride
  • The bride prepares herself for the groom

God's Plan of Redemption

  • Messiah returned to the Father (Mark 16:19)
  • We wait for Messiah's return (1 Thess. 1:10)
  • The Son is preparing a heavenly place for believers (John 14:2-3)
  • The father decides when to send the Son again (Matt 24:36)
  • Believers are to prepare themselves for Messiah's return (Matt. 25:1-13)

There is also a third chart, but, I hope I've given you enough of the general idea to make you want to read the book yourself! It is truly worth seeking out! 


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Susanne said...

This sounds like a book I would love! I'll have to check out the book store!