Monday, July 28, 2014

Book Review: Full Steam Ahead

Full Steam Ahead. Karen Witemeyer. 2014. Bethany House. 352 pages. [Source: Library]

I found Full Steam Ahead to be a very satisfying romance. I have enjoyed almost all of Witemeyer's historical romances that I've read. My favorite so far is Short-Straw Bride. So I expected to love Full Steam Ahead. I was not disappointed.

Our heroine is a young woman named Nicole Renard. She returns home to Galveston, Texas, when she learns that her father is dying. He runs the family shipping business--Renard Shipping. He wants his daughter to go to New Orleans and find a husband among his business associates if possible. He'd like his son-in-law to take on the family business. It would be ideal, of course, if he was already in the shipping business. That situation in itself would provide some pressure for Nicole. Your father is dying. Go and find a husband quickly. Pick wisely. Leave now. But that isn't the whole story. The Renard family has a multi-generational feud going on with the Jenkins' family. The Jenkins are, of course, in the shipping business too. The feud is about a historic dagger. The Jenkins brothers will do ANYTHING to steal the dagger.

So while the plan was for Nicole to go to New Orleans, that is not what actually happens. Nicole tries to outsmart the Jenkins' brothers. She ends up in Liberty, Texas. She ends up seeking work in town. She answers a help wanted ad for a secretary. She meets Darius Thornton. He reluctantly hires her.

I loved, loved, loved Darius Thornton. I loved the developing relationship between Nicole and Darius. Those weeks she spends with him hiding out on his place, well, they worked for me. So many scenes that I loved!!! Overall, such a satisfying romance with a great couple!!!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: