Monday, November 3, 2014

Book Review: At Bluebonnet Lake

At Bluebonnet Lake. Amanda Cabot. 2014. Revell. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I much prefer historical romance to contemporary romance. However, since I have enjoyed Amanda Cabot's historical romances in the past, I took a chance with At Bluebonnet Lake, her newest contemporary series.

Kate Sherwood is taking some time off work to travel with her grandmother, Sally, who essentially raised her. Her grandmother wanted to spend a month at Rainbow's End, a "resort" of sorts in Texas' Hill Country. It is anything but a resort. It is a far cry from what it used to be, and, a far cry from what it should be. Kate admits, reluctantly perhaps, that it could be transformed into something amazing, with the right ownership, with enough money. But the only thing that is somewhat "amazing" about Rainbow's End is the cooking. It also helps that Greg Vange, another guest, is oh-so-dreamy. Sally is not left out. She has a love interest as well, Roy Gordon.

Will Kate fall in love with Greg? Will Sally fall in love with Roy? Will either heroine be willing to move to Texas?

At Bluebonnet Lake felt predictable and repetitive. I don't know if it actually was as repetitive as it felt. I never felt a connection with the characters. I did not like Kate. There was just something about her that felt off. She just seemed very shallow to me. The romance was nice, I suppose, but nothing wonderful. It also felt like it was trying to hard to be Texan, if that makes sense. I was disappointed. I wanted to like it more.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

1 comment:

Amanda Cabot said...

Thanks so much for taking the time to read and review my book. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy it more, but I appreciate your honesty.