Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Signing Up for Operation Deepen Faith


Host: Operation Actually Read Bible
Title: Operation Deepen Faith (sign up post for 2015)
Dates: January 2015 - December 2015

I'm signing up for
I. Wonderful Words of Life

My goal: To read the Bible 4 times through in 2015. I'd love to read it each quarter. But I typically end up checking my progress in November/December and making a list of which books I need to read, and how many times, in order to make it to that year's goal.

Early July Check-In
I've read the Bible  through twice so far this year.  The first quarter I read "extra" in the New Testament. The second quarter, I read "extra" in the Old Testament. James and John will have extra  because they've  been MacArthur-ed. Chosen to read 30 times in a row.
Late November Check-In
I *think* I've read the Bible through 4 times, but, I'm going to keep on reading, of course. 

II. How Firm A Foundation

My goal: Same as last year. To spend time with the Apostle John. To focus on John, 1 John, and Revelation. I'd love to read each of these 30 times. (Last year, I read the gospel of John 25 times, and the book of Revelation 43 times. I believe I read 1 John, 21 times.)
Early July Check-In
What have I done to meet this goal? Well, I chose to read John 30 times this summer. So far I'm around 16 or 17? I think. So I'm on my way to getting to that number 30!  I've started reading  R. Kent Hughes' John: That You May Believe Preaching the Word Commentary published by Crossway. I hope to finish that this summer or perhaps this fall. I have several other commentaries that I'd love to get to.  We'll see.
Late November Check-In
I finished the commentary by R. Kent Hughes!!! It was wonderful
I also listened to a teaching series called DOCTRINES OF GRACE IN THE GOSPEL OF JOHN it was absolutely WONDERFUL. I'LL BE REVIEWING THIS SOON.

III. Deep and Wide

My goal: To use the MacArthur System of study several times throughout the year. Candidates include: 2 Corinthians, Galatians, James, 1 and 2 Timothy, Titus and Philemon, and Jude. (I am not brave enough to tackle the gospels or Acts.)

Early July Check-In
I've read James. I'm in the process of  reading John. If you haven't tried this way of reading the Bible, you should be brave and just do it! I promise you that it is worth it!!! Yes, it takes time and effort. A commitment to read the Bible each day, but, it is so rewarding!!!
I will probably take a break after reading John, but, maybe one more book before the end of the year? Anyone want to be brave and read a book with me? Let me know! Pick a book, pick a month!!!
Late November Check-In
I've finished John. I've finished 1 and 2 Timothy!!! 

IV. Meditate or Memorize.

My goal: I'd love to memorize a verse per week. But. Since I'm completely new to memorization--at least as an adult--I'd be content with 24 or so. I'd rather really, really know 24, than be able to stumble through fifty.

Early July-Check-In
Am I memorizing the Bible? No. Not really. Have I  been meditating on the Bible verses I've selected? Yes and no. That is sometimes.  I seem to be contrary. Either I'm really on-task and read/meditate several times per week--sometimes even five or six days of the week--or else I'm horrible at it and go two or three weeks without. So I'm not as consistent as I'd like. But this has been helpful to me overall. It was a great blessing this spring to have these verses ready-to-go.

Late November Check-In
I am trying to decide what the best method is for this. To choose verses ahead of time. Or to write them down as I find them in my reading. To try to be methodical--going through books of the Bible, balancing Old Testament and New Testament--or spur of the moment and all over the place...

V. Christian Nonfiction

My goal: To read twenty-four nonfiction books.

Early July Check-In
I've read 59 Christian Nonfiction books this year.  That's twice my goal.  And the year is just half over. So my best books might be yet to come! 
Late November Check-In
I haven't totaled November yet. But January - October has me with 97 Christian Nonfiction books!

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: