Monday, February 16, 2015

Book Review: The Crimson Cord

The Crimson Cord: Rahab's Story (Daughters of the Promised Land #1) Jill Eileen Smith. 2015. Revell. 368 pages. [Source: Review copy]

I enjoy reading biblical fiction. Some authors I tend to love more than others. I do tend to like Jill Eileen Smith's books. I haven't "loved" every single novel. But for the most part, I eagerly anticipate each new release. How did I like The Crimson Cord? Well...

I loved, loved, LOVED Jill Eileen Smith's The Crimson Cord. It was WONDERFUL. The Crimson Cord is Rahab's story. It is fiction, of course. The author imagines what Rahab's life might have been like. Why was she a prostitute? Was this something she chose for herself? Or was it forced upon her? Is it a lifestyle she enjoyed? Or was it a burden, of sorts, for her? Was she trapped and weighed down by it? Why did she choose to help the two spies? Why did she trust them and their God? Was it easy for her to convince her family to stay with her in her house? How did they view her lifestyle? What happened to them after Jericho's fall?

Jill Eileen Smith excels at storytelling. This story is captivating from start to finish. It is faithful to Scripture--what is clearly revealed in Scripture. Yet at the same time it is creative fiction. Nothing in the  novel contradicts Scripture, but, so much of the novel is imaginative speculation. I loved Smith's Rahab.   I found Rahab an intriguing character, easy to love and sympathize with. And her love story, well, it was wonderful.

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: