Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Book Review: 52 Little Lessons from It's A Wonderful Life

52 Little Lessons from It's A Wonderful Life. Bob Welch. 2012. Thomas Nelson. 224 pages. [Source: Bought]

Did I enjoy reading 52 Little Lessons from It's A Wonderful Life? Yes. After starting the book, I realized I needed to re-watch the film. It honestly felt like watching the film for the first time. Perhaps because I watched it with subtitles and was able to "catch" stuff I'd never noticed before. (Like how the film begins with so many people in the town earnestly praying for George.) Perhaps because I never take the time to give it my attention, my full attention, I mean. It is so familiar that I almost dismiss it into the background at times. When I think of It's A Wonderful Life I tend to think of four or five particular scenes. Reading the book and re-watching the film helped me appreciate the movie as a whole, and pay attention to details big and small.

If you're looking to see "It's A Wonderful Life" through new eyes, I'd also recommend listening to Steven Curtis Chapman's "Meant to Be."
You were meant to be touching
The lives that you touch
And meant to be here
Making this world so much more
Than it would be without you in it
You were meant to be bringing
The gifts that you bring
And singing the songs
You've been given to sing
You are perfectly, wonderfully,
Beautifully meant to be
You were meant to be
So. Back to the book. There are 52 entries or readings. Each one focuses on a lesson to be learned from watching the movie. Each entry generally highlights a particular quote or a particular scene. A few just focus on a particular (usually minor) character.

Lesson 7: You Can't Run Away From Your Problems
Lesson 10: There's No Impact Without Contact
Lesson 15: Prayer Changes Things
Lesson 17: Don't Wait To Tell Someone You Care
Lesson 25: The Greatest Gift You Can Give Is Grace
Lesson 29: Look for the Best in People
Lesson 33: What Triggers True Change is True Humility


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: