Sunday, January 17, 2016

Music Review: Glory to the Holy One

For the past two weeks, I've been enjoying listening to Glory to the Holy One. The album contains "new hymns" for the church. The lyrics are by R.C. Sproul, the music composed by Jeff Lippencott.

The album contains these songs:

1517
Glory to the Holy One
Come, O Lamb of God
The Secret Place
Variant on Benedictus
Heavy Is Our Savior's Cross
Highland Hymn
Viam Dei
No More the Grave
Clothed in Righteousness
These Great Things
Come, Thou Savior, Spread Thy Table
Worthy is the Lamb
Amen

The album also features an interview with R.C. Sproul and Jeff Lippencott. So what do I think? Obviously, I at least like it since I've been listening to it for the past few weeks. But I more than like it.

It is different--in style--from what I normally listen to. It has an elegant, graceful, grand, grandiose feel to it. Definitely classical or classical choral. Think full orchestra and choir. The style is far removed from any music style I've heard in my own church. But every church is different, every denomination is different.

The album contains a booklet with the lyrics. Chances are you'll need to read the lyrics at least the first few times you listen to the album. The lyrics are, in my opinion, hard to understand, the words hard to distinguish just by listening. Unless you've got the booklet handy, chances are you won't be joining in singing. Some albums really invite you to participate in singing along, in joining in. Others are a bit more intimidating.

The lyrics. I have to say I really do find the lyrics to be great. These are substantive, theology-rich lyrics that celebrate the gospel, that celebrate God.

The music. I have to say the album has a very soundtrack feel to it, in my opinion. If you enjoy listening to soundtracks, this one may suit you quite well.

There are essentially two ways I best enjoy this album. First, as background music for when I'm on the computer, for when I'm catching up and writing reviews. The songs on the album blend together quite well, and, just complement each other perfectly. Second, as background music for when I'm napping. Let's call it sacred-napping. Rest is important, right?! Especially since I'm just a few weeks out from major surgery. There is just something very soothing about listening to this one and relaxing.

You can listen to some of the songs yourself:

The Secret Place (Concert Performance)
Glory to the Holy One (Concert Performance)
Come, O Lamb of God (Concert Performance)
Worthy is the Lamb (Concert Performance)
No More the Grave (Concert Performance)
Heavy Is Our Savior's Cross (Concert Performance)
These Great Things (Concert Performance)
1517 (Concert Performance)

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: