Monday, January 16, 2017

Book Review: A Moonbow Night

Moonbow Night. Laura Frantz. 2017. Revell. 384 pages. [Source: Review copy]

First sentence: What cannot be cured must be endured.

Premise/plot: Sion Morgan, a surveyor for the Crown, falls hard for Tempe Grace Tucker in the Kentucke wilderness. Tempe and her family work hard at Moonbow Inn one of the few places offering hospitality to adventurers and pioneers. She can handle a gun, but is not as great at handling her grief, her memories of the past. Sion will get the chance to spend more time with her when he hires her to be a guide for his upcoming trip.

My thoughts: I really enjoyed this one. The start was a tiny bit slow for me, but by the third or fourth chapter I was hooked. The plot itself didn't thrill me, the wilderness exploring felt like a very long, uncomfortable camping trip--to me. But the characters were easy to care about. I loved Sion and Nate and Tempe! Though set after the Revolutionary war started, all of the danger in this one comes from conflicts between whites and natives. (Tribes are listed and differentiated in the novel, but I rarely take notes when reading novels.) All the direct danger, that is. 

If you enjoy historical fiction or historical romance, this is one to seek out.

1 comment:

VikToryArch said...

I want to read this one.