Tuesday, January 3, 2017

Journaling Genesis #1


What can I learn about God in Genesis 1?

  • In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth. (Genesis 1:1) God creates. God sustains his creation. God is sovereign over his creation.
  • Then God said, "Let there be light…" God speaks. God spoke everything into existence. God spoke to his creation. He is still speaking to us through the Word.
  • God saw… Time and time again God is mentioned as seeing. He saw his creation and judged it good. Though he wouldn't always see his creation as good or very good. God always and forever will see his creation and see over his creation. Hebrews 4:13
  • God calls or names. This is part of the act of creating. But I think it can be carried beyond that. He knows us by name--we are called by name. Before the universe began, before "In the beginning God created," God knew all his children by name. Also of note, Adam would--like God--continue to to name. We are created in the image of God. We are image-bearers.
  • God blesses. Several times in this chapter (v 22, 28) God blesses his creation. God still blesses us though we don't deserve it. 
  • God provides for his creation. God gives us what we need. Specifically here, God was providing food for his creation--green plants and vegetation.
  • God cares and is involved. He is not disinterested.
  • God separates light from darkness, literally and figuratively. 

What can I learn about me by reading Genesis 1?

  • I take God's "very good" creation for granted. I too easily dismiss the beauty of nature. When I am outside, I'm not thinking, "God made this." I'm thinking, "I'm allergic to everything." In particular, I have a love-hate relationship with the sun, with bright light!
  • I am created by God; He made me; I was created to be an image-bearer. Every person is an image-bearer. Sin could taint our reflection, but not destroy it. The fact that we are made in the image of God should influence how we treat others. 

© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: