Saturday, January 7, 2017

Journaling Genesis #2

What can I learn about God from reading Genesis 2 and 3?

  • God rests from his work which he proclaimed good.
  • God blesses the seventh day and declares it holy.
  • God created man and woman (not to mention everything else) and placed them in a beautiful, amazing garden. 
  • God provided for them--"every tree pleasing in appearance" and "good for food." They lacked nothing they needed. God met their every need.
  • Planted in the garden, God gave them the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.
  • God gave the man work to do. Given the job to work in the garden and watch over it. Both working and watching over things are things God did too. 
  • God institutes marriage. God made woman for man. Both men and women were created by God. 
  • God speaks and reveals himself. Here he gave commands to Adam about the tree.
  • God calls out to us (Genesis 3:9) and seeks us out for fellowship--relationship.
  • God judges sin. (Genesis 3:14-25) And sin has consequences. The consequence here was leaving the garden forever. There were other consequences too.
  • God provided appropriate clothing or COVERING for them to cover their shame. Skins requiring a blood (animal) sacrifice. God still provides a covering for our shame--the righteousness of Christ.
  • God gave a promise. The first of many. God gave hope. They didn't deserve grace--but it was given all the same.
  • God was good and gracious. He showed this by how he continued to treat them after the fall. He disciplined, yes, but showed mercy and righteous judgement. 


What can I learn about myself by reading Genesis 2 and 3?

  • I should be on the look out for sin and guard against it. Sin is deceitful. It promises much but delivers only death.
  • Passing the blame and making excuses may come naturally, but neither is morally right. I am just as guilty as Adam and Even when it comes to thi.
  • I should never try to make "fig-leaf" clothes to cover my sin, my guilt, my shame.
  • I cannot make myself acceptable to God. I cannot work my way to a righteous standing before God. 
  • I should cling to Jesus Christ who clothes me with His righteousness.
  • I should look forward to the day when sin is no more and I can be free from the curse of original sin. Heaven will be wonderful!


© Becky Laney of Operation Actually Read Bible

No comments: